Saturday, April 30, 2011

New York, Boston & New England - Day 6

After recovering from the awesomeness of day 5, I grabed my complimentary paper plate and danish cheese breakfast. So I was prepared to follow the trails of the Pilgrims today. Before that, I visited the port of Hyannis in the freezing morning. Hell, was the wind chilly!
I crossed some of the towns on the Cape till I reached the highway to Provincetown, located at the very end of the peninsula. On the way, I stopped at a National Park hiking spot to walk along the First Spring trail. Here, the first pilgrims made their first explorations (and drunk the first fresh water on North American soil) after their landing in Provincetown with their famous Mayflower.
Provincetown was absolutely amazing. Usually a packed tourist town in the summer time, today almost no tourist crossed my way. The town, famous for its hippy and gay communities, was like in hybernation: closed shops, calmness, relaxed dogs walkers and pure sun. Brilliant to see how a town like this looks off-season!
Next stop was Plymouth, site of the first settlement of the Pilgrims. However, it was a bit disapponting there. Except the old graveyard on top of a hill next to the first church on American soil, there was nothing really special. Maybe I should have visited the Pilgrim Museum...
Final destination for today was Boston. Using my GPS again, it was absolutely no problem to find the hotel, but didn't help me finding cheap parking. I cruised around for about half an hour before I gave up and paid the 30 bucks. It check in at the Sheraton at Prudential Center and enjoy the sunset walking around the MIT campus, Massachusetts Avenue and Prudential Center. As this morning, it was freezing cold again after the sun was down. So I brought me a burger and spend the tiny rest of the day in the hotel, which offered a beautiful view over the Charles River and MIT campus, especially at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment